Summertime is all about soaking up the sun by the beach or pool and strutting your stuff in a cute bikini. But we know getting to the beach isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’re probably thinking: What do I pack? What bag even fits all my stuff? How do I entertain the kids? What kind of swimsuit do I wear? Well don’t worry, we’ve got the answers to make your summer beach days as relaxing as can be!
PACKING FOR THE BEACH
We’ve all been there. You think you’ve packed everything you need for a fun day in the sun, only to arrive at the beach and realize you’ve forgotten towels (or even your swimsuit). Read through our list of essential beach items to make sure you don’t forget a thing this time!
2. A hat. The more protection for your face, the better.
3. Sunglasses. Believe it or not, your eyes can sunburn, too. Trust us, it hurts.
4. Towels and blankets. Either can be spread on the sand, but towels are a must if you plan on taking a dip in the ocean. If you prefer, bring an umbrella chair that folds up easily, blocks the sun and keeps your beach area stylish!
5. Water. We can almost guarantee you’ll be dehydrated after a day in the sun, so drink up! Also pack light snacks that don’t need to be refrigerated, or take a cooler if you prefer something cold.
6. Change of clothes. There’s nothing worse than driving back home in a sopping wet bathing suit filled with sand.
7. Beach toys. Take frisbees and footballs to occupy the young ones on your trip, and take a book for yourself.
8. Camera. Documentation of your perfect beach day is required.
Now, what bag is beach worthy and can fit all your items? Large mesh totes are great for the beach and can withstand the harsh sand.
With these bags, you’ll be sure to leave the sand and water behind, and won’t have a problem fitting everything you need.
CARING FOR YOUR SWIMSUIT
You’ve got a new, super cute bikini for the beach, but how do you keep it looking good as new all summer long? Michelle Koch from V i X Swimwear (check out their amazingly beautiful bikinis http://www.vixswimwear.com/) gave us some great tips that we promise to abide by from now on.
Michelle says that before wearing your suit to the beach, “to prevent fading, bleeding, and to keep colors vibrant longer, soak new swimsuit for 30 minutes in a mixture of water and white vinegar (1 tbsp vinegar per 1 quart water).” After your day in the sun, she tells us to “rinse your swimsuit in cool water immediately following swimming in salt or chlorinated water” and then “hand wash your suit with a mild soap– do not wash in the washing machine.”
But we had more questions for Michelle. What if your bikini has delicate embellishments? Michelle says that for V i X suits in particular, “all embellishments (gold, leather, beads, etc) can be worn in salt and chlorinated water.” However, she warns that “sun, tanning/bronzing lotions, tinted moisturizers, oils, harsh chemicals and minerals, salt water, chlorine, and extreme heat naturally put wear on any swimsuit and can turn it yellow. To prevent wear as much as possible, be careful to follow the care instructions.” We can’t wait to keep our suits sparking this season!
WHAT SWIMSUIT TO WEAR WHEN
Let’s face it, most of us have numerous swimsuits we like alternating and mismatching, and it’s often difficult to choose which to wear. However, our decision may be easier once we know what suit is best for every beachy occasion. We’ve asked Michelle Koch from V i X Swimwear to help us out once again.
For lounging on the beach/soaking up the sun, Michelle suggests to “glam things up and pick a suit with more details, like leather, studs or embroidery.”
For swimming, Michelle says to “make sure that you have a suit that fits well. A natural quality of lycra is to expand slightly when wet, so make sure your suit fits well to begin with. Avoid Bandeau tops as they are prone to slipping off in the waves!”
And finally, for surfing and other water sports, Michelle recommends to “avoid a suit with any sort of embellishment.”
So next time you’re planning a beach trip, remember our tips and tricks– we guarantee you’ll have the perfect summer day!
For more information about products and ordering, visit www.greatusefulstuff.com.